PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procurement Privatisation
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 08:27
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
No one likes discussing the fact that many, in fact the majority, of projects are delivered to time, cost and performance.
Tuc

Is that because the majority are simple rather than complex systems? Its obviously going to be a lot easier to buy something on CTP if it is simple. Don't know the answer, just asking.

Having worked in procurement I think part of the problem is the mandatory adherence to KURs and the SRD. Sometimes you know what is the right buy; if it is the only thing out there that can do what you want (C17, E3) or it is blindingly obvious that if you need a system to do X the answer is Y you should just buy it. However we have to write a requirement (which may not completely encompass everything that the single requirement manager can think of when drafting the SRD) and then allow bidders to bid against the KUR/SRD, with systems that might deliver anything from X-- through X to X++. The scrutineers wont allow you to just buy X++ even though, invariably, it is the right answer because X-- is cheaper (and doesn't meet the requirement); as the RM you then have to "move the goal posts" as you try to get the capability you actually want, particularly when you remember that critical capability that was a "compartment" on the old system and you now need to add to the SRD; which the contractor will seize upon as a new requirement for which he can charge more and delay the programme; meanwhile technology moves on and the in service platform you are trying to replace gets some upgrades, possibly through UOR action; which means your replacement is now a backwards step. In the mean time other nations who just bought Y in the first place are wondering why they have a platform in service meeting their requirement and doing the job for which it was procurred, whilst you are still tied up in negotiations with the "preferred bidder". And relax.

LJ
10s to 100s of thousands of pounds
I would be stunned by 10s of thousands let alone 100s of thousands. Of the various tri-service stations that I have visited recently I have yet to hear of anyone getting £s back let alone 10s or 100s. Of course it would also suggest that had the Service decided to invest properly in its messes and on base "all ranks coffee shops", "we" would be receiving 100% of the gain share not 50%. Any ideas as to which stations have received this substantial windfall?