PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procurement Privatisation
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2013, 06:43
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Sadly, the attitude of Service manning (the need to move fast-trackers every 18mths) means that often the 'value added' provided by a serviceman in DE&S/Cap Dev areas is in short supply as they just gain competency when they're moved. The best PMs I've worked with in DE&S are either 'mong stream' S/L and W/C who've settled in the West Country (but are often ignored or overruled by Gp Capts/B1 CS who are going places....) or ex-mil contractors who bring experience and gravitas to the role - but you do pay for the privilege. In many cases the best CS have their morale and enthusiasm crushed lest they embarress their seniors. I'm tired of seeing poor decisions taken by ill-informed people based on turning dashboards the correct colour in order to meet bonus targets and to hang with the military need. If, and it's a big if, Manning wake up to the true needs of acquisition and nurture SQEP individuals to place in Cap Dev in the FLCs then DE&S could be massively streamlined if the Cap Dev area were holding them to task. Properly drafted requirements with behaviours driven by contract are the way ahead - but I'm not holding my breath. If a GoCo hires the right people, and is prepared to pay them the right money, it could make a tangible difference. Hmmm........

Last edited by Evalu8ter; 25th Apr 2013 at 06:48.