PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Granny fuel
Thread: Granny fuel
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 21:20
Virtus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, on a KingAir 200 I flew for 10 years, we had several discrepancies in the gauges, yet the totalizer was actually very accurate, always.
What evidence did you have that the totalizer was very accurate?

The gauges on the plane in question seem to be quite accurate. They are calibrated by maintenance on a specific schedule. They are calibrated at the 0 lbs usable fuel quantity, and the 1000 lbs usable fuel quantity. During calibration they will always ensure that what you have on the gauges represents at least what you have in the tanks, erring on the conservative side.

The more I look into this issue, the more I seem to find reason for not taking 'granny fuel'. I've found in my informal survey that pilots tend to state their beliefs as fact. For example, pilots stating that the gauges are inaccurate or that the government regulating agency takes 'granny fuel', yet when asked for any evidence of either one they can't provide any. Not saying that you don't have any evidence for the gauges being inaccurate!

And if there is a discrepancy in the fuel indicating system it should be snagged and the MEL consulted.