PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G1000 SoftKeys
Thread: G1000 SoftKeys
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 20:06
Yellow Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G1000 SoftKeys

If only the Garmin documentation was as good as the kit . . . .

Throughout the various reference manuals I find lots of reference to the OBS/SUSP softkey and (more or less) what to do with it. What isn't so clear is how to make it appear in the first place! I think I've groped my way towards a kind of understanding by trial and error but would be much happier if someone could confirm the answer - or even point me to the key paragraph I have somehow missed finding?

Incidentally, despite (or perhaps because of) all the hundreds of pages of reference material Garmin kindly make available FOC, there is another topic which I don't find covered at all well - VNav. The manuals are fine on loading a plan/arrival/approach, but a bit (well, quite a lot) vague about what really happens in the air. How much does the autopilot/Flight Director do without prompting? I am mildly reluctant to experiment in the air, and I don't find Garmin's own PC-based software is stable enough (on my PC, anyhow) to give me confidence that it is fully representative.

Perhaps there is a market for a 'this is how you do it' product to supplement the very detailed but not very readable Garmin manuals? Or perhaps I'm just being dim?