PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical & controlling the plane
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 17:18
mattpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical & controlling the plane

I hope i can get some clarification here about something thats been irking me.

I've had a rather long break from aviation (few years), so i just randomly decided to go to the local FTO (germany) to book a flight with an instructor just to see if i can perhaps find the love for flying again. I tell the boss there it's been a few years and i just wanna hop in a plane with an instructor and do a few turns. He tells me "no can do" - i need a medical. I clarify that i want to go up with an instructor - dont even care about logging the time or whatever - just fly. He says "no". Apparently person on the left seat needs a medical at all times as he's .. and this is i guess where he's quoting the regs... the 'operating pilot'.

So i say something stupid.... i say "so its not like in the US, where.. " ... he instantly corrects me and says you need a medical at all times in the US too, otherwise its illegal etc.. . Basically he's lecturing me. I know he's wrong (unless pilot station is defined, PIC can sit wherever the hell he wants to sit), but I haven't told him at this point that a few years ago while i was still flying in the US i was a MEI plus actively teaching CFI' Initials... so i kinda know what i'm talking about... but what the heck. I wasn't gunna tell him as i wanted the argument to cool off.

So... in europe, do i need a medical to control the plane on the left hand seat with an instructor on the right? Do i REALLY need a medical to just touch the controls or is this guy just being difficult?

Over the past few years i've had no success in finding an FTO in germany that actually is NOT difficult. I get some nice information on pprune and am all excited about doing a converstion - then i go talk to the instructor and all i get is ... well ... contempt? about having a US certificates at all. Nobody seemingly wants to do a 'no frills' conversion. Gotta milk that cash cow, eh? :-)