PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roads as runways.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 15:48
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
I lived in sweden for enalry three eyars and worlked very close to the Bararby base notrth of stockholm. Openly an airbase but with some seriously hidden and protected (ie dug into rock) hangers. During one of the early 90 Russian instability periods they deployed two Viggen(?) squadrons there - very spectacular but within 15 minutes they had all vanished into the forest.

Also several times found myself on wide straight roads with runway type markings in various parts of the country. Went to several airshows and the short landing and reverse demo from the home made SAABs was always a feature .
God knows what developing Mach 2 fighters did to the Swedish economy with only about 8m people.

I did see something vaguely similar in UK once in the west county but could not remember where-I know we were on hols down there and driving a around came across this odd straight road with lots of space either side and lots of sheltering trees well back from it-mind you it looked a lot more WW2 vintage than cold war.