PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STALLS IN PPL SKILL TEST
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2013, 07:43
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aft trimmed position of stabiliser along with a full thrust pitch moment at high AOA can make stall recovery impossible even with the yoke fully forward, at least until nose down trim is applied
This almost happened at Bournemouth when a 737 had the autothrottles go to idle at the top of the approach and the crew didn't notice (as per an Turkish Airlines Amsterdam one). Luckily the crew did notice as the speed decayed through 100 kts (as the AP was trying to hold the glide slope) and they went full power. Trouble was the aeroplane pitched up to over 45 degrees and started rolling 30-40 degrees each side and they *almost* lost it......Scary stuff!

In the Citation, I was taught lower nose to horizon (no lower than) and simultaneously go to Take Off power. Actually one thing I like about the FAA is that they do their stalls to fully developed. I remember stalling the Seneca II at take off power (power on stall). I think we must have had an attitude of about 40 degrees nose up before it stalled!

Last edited by englishal; 24th Apr 2013 at 07:45.