PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STALLS IN PPL SKILL TEST
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 22:43
CLOUD999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is NOT Standard Stall Recovery for SEP Class aeroplanes (which requires minimum loss of height) - it is (almost, but not quite...) something which has dribbled down from the latest techniques taught to brain-dead airline pilots whose inadequate handling skills have required further instruction.
And further to your explanation to Bose-x regarding pod engines and the ensueing pitch couple when thrust is applied.
Speaking as a 'brain - dead airline pilot examiner' myself you are correct that the technique now trained to airline pilots is to reduce AOA ie reduce pitch until the aircraft is flying again and then apply thrust as required.

The aft trimmed position of stabiliser along with a full thrust pitch moment at high AOA can make stall recovery impossible even with the yoke fully forward, at least until nose down trim is applied. Stab trim itself requires careful use in upset conditions in order not aggravate situations.

Upset recoveries always require the aircraft to be unstalled first, this technique caters for this. Any further upset recovery actions would depend on whether nose hi or low, AOB, IAS lo or high? Increasing or decreasing? oh and lets not forget stab trim position.

Momentum has a huge influence and the flight envelope can be exited very quickly if correct recoveries are not applied.

Oh and lets not forget that various types have there own specific techniques and issues ( airbus control laws, lack of feedback, knowledge of stability in phase of flight eg neutral / positive?)

Beagle you also mention that " pig -ignorant people-tube drones" have been taught that AoA is of paramount importance" I think you are maybe refering to airline pilots again here ?

In any case in all my experience being instructed, instructing and examining whether civil, military, SEP or ME - AoA has indeed always been paramount. The laws of flight never really changed

Aircraft will always stall if the AoA is too high and will always fly again once the AoA is reduced -simple

I can understand why the PPL student who posted originally is so confused and worried about stall recoveries - examiners and instructors here seem unable to agree on when to recover and how!!

Anyway I hope the input of this "brain dead airline pilot" ( probably a good description in my case ) helps