PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 17:45
Danny42C

Danny puts the Cat among the Pigeons.

As I mentioned in my last Post, I was unhappy with the lackadaisical attitude shown by many of our Auxiliaries to the duties they'd taken on (and who could blame them after seeing the kind of recruiting material we'd been putting out ?). I went through the attendance records with Bob and Sgt Watt: it was obvious that up to a third of our people had just "come along for the ride" - and the "Summer Holidays Free" (I'd had the bus posters removed !).

I decided to take the bull by the horns, and wrote an Open letter to our troops, and for issue to all future enquirers and recruits. I explained that the choice of their next Commanding Officer had not yet been made, but that it was my duty meanwhile to hand the unit over to him (whoever he might be) in the best condition possible. I outlined the purpose of a Fighter Control Unit, and how important it was that we should develop into an effective, well trained and instantly available reserve for the regular Fighter Control service (as the Warsaw Pact would not give us a month's notice of attack).

While I hoped that they would enjoy with us the companionship which is such an integral part of Service life, they must realise that we were not a paid social club; we had a serious purpose; we expected them to live up to the undertakings they had given us on acceptance into the Unit: and if they could or would not do this then, regretfully, we would be obliged to show them the door.

Here my memory becomes rather hazy. We cannot have "enlisted" our auxiliary airmen/airwomen. I do not remember administering any Oath at all, and if any swearing-in had to be done, it would obviously have been done by me. IIRC, they were "in" on a very loose arrangement indeed; they could get out at a fortnight's notice: I could get rid of them on the same basis. Short of doing that, I had a very useful sanction: I could bar them from the Summer Camp if they had not put in the requisite number of weekend and weeknight attendances. As this was the "plum" of Auxiliary service, they would generally then resign in a huff. I suppose it amounted to "constructive dismissal", but there were no Tribunals then.

All this sounded eminently reasonable to me, and to the 70% of the auxiliary strength who were pulling their weight. It did not appeal to the others who were largely passengers in the system. Someone passed the good news along to TAAFA, where it hit the fan.

TAAFA regarded recruiting numbers as the only indicator of a Unit's efficiency, the more the better, never mind the quality. It was a "target-chasing" exercise, long before the expression came into common use. Not only did my intentions threaten to reduce numbers (in the short term, at least), but I had embarked on this course without so much as a "by your leave" from them . They leaned on 12 Group: "Who will rid us of this turbulent Adjutant ?"

Luckily for me, the rather quiet and gentlemanly AVM who'd passed on my PC application a few weeks before had just been succeeded by one of the RAF's more colourful characters in the person of "Batchy" Atcherley. His first instinct was to throw me to the wolves. But then he found that his Staff were equally divided on the matter: one faction said: "The man's trouble, get rid of him" and the other: "About time someone tried to get some value out of these Auxiliaries for all the money we're putting in, more power to his elbow". He decided to see for himself.

Accordingly I was summoned to attend at HQ Newton, cap and gloves on (no chair/coffee/biscuit) . "I hear you have been making a nuisance of yourself, young man ", harrumphed Batchy, "what have you to say ?" I made my case as well as I could. "Well", said Batchy, "I see what you're trying to do - but WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WRITE THIS DAMNED LETTER ?"

"Look, withdraw the letter, we'll say no more about it, I'll square it with the TAAFA, you can throw out as many as you like, but NO MORE LETTERS do you understand ?" "Yes, Sir".

"If you want to stand by your letter, I'll have you removed and the next man will withdraw it: nothing will have been achieved. But if that's your decision - my Comm Flight chap's coming to the end of his tour, how would you like that ?" "But, Sir, I'm not twin trained !" "Doesn't matter, we'll give you a conversion".

It was tempting, but I remembered a meeting two years before (when I spent a week or so at Newton between Driffield and Valley) with a woebegone individual - he was the OC Comm Flight, and he was not a happy man. It seemed that every Staff Officer and wannabe Staff Officer in the place regarded himself entitled to be flown wherever and whenever he liked, at a moment's notice, and did not take refusal kindly. This offer might be a poisoned chalice. The Devil I knew might be the better option - and besides, I'd "set my hand to the plough" and wanted to see it through.

I am mortified to admit that I hauled down the flag and took Batchy's first offer. As it was to prove, it would be extremely fortunate that I did so - but that's a story for two years ahead.

That'll do for the time being,

Cheers, all,

Danny42C

You can't please everybody.

Last edited by Danny42C; 24th Apr 2013 at 13:23. Reason: Spacing.