PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The landing and judging height.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 04:20
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
This is a general question, but perhaps specifically aimed at Chuck.

By way of preamble, I learned to fly in the UK, mainly on UAS Chipmunks with RAF QFIs. I was taught to always three-point, although I have a vague recollection of trying wheel landings on at least one occasion.

I never had problems with three-pointing, although to be fair , we had very conservative cross-wind limits, in order to protect the fleet from the efforts of ham-fisted students.

After graduation, I emigrated to Canada, where I obtained a Canadian PPL and after joining the local gliding club, I got checked out in a Citabria, in preparation for towing. I noticed that my instructor preferred wheel landings to three-pointers and I encountered the same preferences on subsequent occasions when flying with other instructors.

However, during my years at the the gliding club, I noted that without exception, the tow-pilots preferred three-pointers, even in quite strong winds. I also noticed over the years, watching 180s and 185s landing, that their pilots almost always wheel-land. This also seems to be the preferred method when reading articles about tail-dragger Cessnas.

So my two-part question is:

1. Is there a tendency to teach wheel-landings rather than three-pointers in North America?

2. Are 180s and 185s difficult to three-point?