PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demand for pilots . Future prospects?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2013, 18:52
AnotherWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to clear that up, in case it affects your decision of going to uni or not. If you can afford OAA/CTC now, you can afford it after uni, but you'd also have a degree to fall back on (and university is a lot of fun).
Thank you but we got told all that like 5 times already..
If I did a degree AND If I got through the MPL course and landed a job at easyJet and let's say my "pay" would equate to £21k+ a year (which it probably wouldn't) I would have to pay my student loan AND the loan for the training costs and such. If my pay would be below £21k a year, then I would only have to pay the loan for training costs. I wouldn't have to pay back anything for the university until my salary rises above £21 000. But it's still something to worry about in the future.

I'm afraid if I go to uni there will be even more unemployed pilots by the time I come out and start training. I'll have an even lower chance of securing a pilot job, let alone an airline pilot job.

Firstly, it's not 100k.
If by that you mean it costs more, you are correct.
Bond: £69000 (which does eventually get paid back over a period of around 6 years however during this time you can't leave the MPL company if you want to see that 69k back. I believe that if you are fired or dropped you will not receive the remaining value of the bond.)
MPL Training: £18670 + £11940
Living costs estimated: £5000
+ Insurance, Medical etc...
+ Don't know if type rating is included
TOTAL = £104,610+

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Type Rating is included.

Last edited by AnotherWannabe; 29th Apr 2013 at 23:16.