PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The UK Childrens Air Ambulance - Info??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2013, 17:08
Dawdler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An informative read...

Having read this thread and the earlier one about the dismissal of a CEO of another Air Ambulance service, I recommend the following book for further reading.

"You can't park there" by (Doctor) Tony Bleetman. It gives an account of the setting up of the HEMS unit at Coventry Airport. The book doesn't name WNAAC specifically, but I recognised some of the references in the book and research confirm my feeling that I knew the service to which it referred.

Two things stood out in the book. The real money does not come from ladies shaking tins at the door of supermarkets, indeed they are sometimes a bit of an embarrasment. Corporate donations and sponsoring are the real heart of Air Ambulance funding.

The other is how difficult a paediatric transfer can become in a non dedicated aircraft.

If you can wade through all the bad language in the book, you may learn something about how an Air Ambulance actually works off(!) the ground.

Away from the book, I too am concerned about the "awayday" jamboree or bonding session that was reported earlier in the thread. I have to say that it has affected my donations to WNAAC.

I believe that Coventry was chosen as a base for TCAA for similar reason to the coastal polution treatment aircraft were situated there. Being in the middle of the country they can get anywhere quickly. The difference being the polution guys were heading to specific point to do a job, not going there as a first stage of a three stage journey.

I think TAAS have some questions to answer, Certainly before they get anyomore of my money.