PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryaniar - 2 Tail strikes in a week
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2013, 14:17
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail strikes

I am an old fart who stopped flying jets 7 years ago so my views are a bit dated.

I flew all soughts of hardware starting with the Victor (proper plane that) and lots of time on the 737 400. I notice a gradual change over the years both flying and in the sim

We were hammered for not using the old fashioned method in the 60s 70s that is rotate to a certain small pitch angle and wait, if it gets airborne rotate further when safe. If it doesnt lift hold that low pitch angle consider firewalling and wait till the end of the concrete is nigh, only then rotate further.

All this came from the early Comet incidents of high induced drag through rotating too much or early for the actual weight/conditions.

Gradually over the years the weights became more accurate the weather better reported and the aircraft thrust more standard so the method sloooooowly changed to, await rotate call then pull at 3 per sec to about 15 nose up look over the side and see how high you are.

It works well and requires no skill or thinking if all the conditions are correct but if one is wrong you get a tail strike. Some aircraft are more vulnerable than others but all can do it if you insist