PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Graduate unemployment rates
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2003, 07:52
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 243 Likes on 92 Posts
Hmmm, I wouldn't put the number at 80%. More like 50%. Nobody has the actual statistics on this, not even the CAA, but its been speculated on for many years right here.

I'd say that of the people who get a Class One and enrol on some form of groundschool about 10% give up during training.

Of those that actually get a Frzn ATPL issues and a valid IR I think about half get into airline employment. A further chunk will find work flying non-airline work and stay in that arena.

Instructors usually have strong hunches about which course members will make it and which won't post-training. Nevertheless I have been suprised to hear that so-and-so got hired straight onto a jet whilst such-and-such can't get an interview with the Fragrant Harbour Rubber Novelties Trading company.

Illustrating that either:

a) Instructors have no idea who is actually above or below average, or

b) Lifes not fair.

It was always particularly galling when you had a self sponsored student at the same time as an airline sponsored student. the galling part being the Cadet was Captain Klutz whilst the self sponsored guy had an Great Uncle called Chuck somewhere in Arizona... You just knew one was going straight to a jet whilst the other would be hawking a CV around with fingers crossed for months.

Which led most Instructors of my acquaintance to believe that most airline cadetship selection systems were mostly a lottery. Some airlines seemed to have a better idea than others - that was clear.

Good luck,