PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory questions
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2013, 11:27
Romeo Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing some Aircraft Performance revision I've come across a question in my school's 'exam preparation' questions (so not necesserily previous exam questions, just revision tools):

"What is the effect on V1 if mass is increased?"

The answer given is that it increases. Indeed, looking at the MRJT in CAP698 shows an increase in V1 with mass. This is a general theory question, however.

I don't understand how this can be a hard and fast rule - Will there not be situations where an increase in mass will slow the acceleration and deceleration such that ASDA will be insufficient should V1 be increased or even left unchanged after adding mass? I'm thinking, in this case, a lower V1 would be necessary in order to guarantee a stop within ASDA should it be required. Obviously, this requires better OEI performance, as we will have to accelerate further on only one engine, but if we know we can still reach screen height at V2, what's the issue?

I'm just thinking about taking off from a short runway, with a clearway, with a FLLTOM dictated by ASDA, and we increase the a/c mass up to the FLLTOM. Would V1 really go up?

Probably a question for my instructor, but as its a holiday weekend and this was on my mind, I thought I might see if some other ppruner was feeling simlilarly pensive...