PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ? Leslie Gordon Preece JD118 and possibly LV183
Old 20th Apr 2013, 21:37
Wensleydale

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
I've been looking for the POW connection....

Not the same chap, but a Sgt FL Preece (not listed as RCAF) became a POW on 3-4 May 44 after his 192 Sqn Halifax that was involved in Bomber Support operations from Foulsham was shot down and crash landed at Ville Aux Bois. Perhaps his middle name was also Leslie (or Les) and hence the confusion over POW status? In all, 5 airmen with the surname Preece were shot down in 1944, but "FL" was the only POW. Martin Middlebrook reports that three RCM sorties took place that night with one of the halifaxes shot dowm. The main raid that night was the infamous "Mailly la Camp" debacle that cost 43 Lancasters from the attacking force.

W.

An afternote. There are reports in the Canadian press about a LAC GL Preece who survived the war. These are linked to an ancestory thread that you may have started? Having read these threads, there seems to be some confusion about different related "Preece" Canadians - some of whom are listed as KIA in my records. It is all about as clear as mud, but there seems to be the odd misprint somewhere in the record that is causing confusion as to who is who in this search. (This is not unusual). My guess is that Flt Sgt LG Preece did not become a POW although another Preece did. This would explain why FS LG Preece does not appear as failed to return (POW) in Bomber Command records.

Last edited by Wensleydale; 20th Apr 2013 at 21:49.