PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2013, 19:24
Danny42C

The Spit-Bond Fund.

Molemot,

Yes, I fear you may be right - money talks !. But surely they could keep just one for Bentley Priory ?

As for rotting in the rain, they seem to have some marvellous paint finishes these days. I run (from time to time !) a 14-year old car with the paint almost as good as new, and it lives out in all weathers.

Needless to say, you couldn't say that for cars (particularly British ones) twenty or thirty years ago - for then the dreaded tinworm stalked the land !

(My wheels are basically German, but wearing a sombrero).......D.

ricardian, Geriaviator and airborne artist,

You are all too kind ! The Residents' Association would be up in arms ! I shall have (regretfully) to decline the generous offer (and I don't think we're agile enough to get into a Bond now - and would certainly never get out again........D.

(ricardian, all that appeared on my museum piece was a little red cross, but thank you all the same !).....D.

Yamagata ken,

T'was worse than that (5 bhp from 122cc, or 8 from 197 - but that cost you £25 more). Amazing what you could do with it, though. They have been rolled, which might be hard luck if you just had the unsupported perspex screen. Never did it myself, only lifted the inner wheel a foot or so a couple of times. The rear track was so wide that it was remarkably stable.

Mine was the Mk.1 version, Chugalug put in a nice pic * of one a few pages back, but that was the de-luxe Mk.1 with proper glass screen, a wiper and 8 bhp. I only had perspex and a little hand-operated wiper which you used as little as possible as it scratched the screen......D.

* EDIT:

So this was later improved version? Interesting that (according to Wikki) they were made of aluminium, as were so many of those early postwar cars. I recall the A40 Sports and the Triumph Roadster were too, amongst many others. Hardly surprising with so many surplus aircraft to recycle, not least by Sir Freddy Laker's Southend smelter, as previously mentioned. At least you didn't have to climb into the engine compartment to kick-start the engine...or did you? (Text and pic copied hopefully by permission of Chugalug)........D.

Thank you all for your kind solicitude,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Apr 2013 at 20:56. Reason: Add Text.