PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Graduate unemployment rates
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2003, 02:58
tonyblair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I don't know how accurate this is but...

I was told by a 'guru', who is better placed than anyone else I have come across, that over the last 10 years in the UK about 1,500 people a year on average start out training and that there have been 300 new commercial jobs per year when those that go to the ex-military are taken into account. He said there have been good times (like just before 11th September) and bad (like now), but that is the long-term average.

80% of wannabes never get their first job.

I was pretty gobsmaked, but looking at these posts, from people who are not just setting out but who have graduated from flight schools successfully (how many have not made it this far?), maybe these depressing numbers are right.

If they are, I cannot accept that the flight training industry is without blame. They knowingly prey on people's dreams, taking life savings in many cases. They tell us what we want to hear. They devise elaborate glossy 'shells' for standard courses and put up the price, knowing the lure of 'that first job' (“you have more chance if you give your money to us, honest”) will colour the wannabe's judgement. It's outrageous. And it's off my chest!