Thread: News of NEO
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2013, 04:28
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Nearly There ??

Hello All,

Well, what can I say........ Emergency admission on 10th January after a fall in the kitchen left me with a gaping head wound, only to be told I had a 25% chance of survival due to severe malnutrition. I couldn't believe it; in a developed country under constant supervision and observation I ended up weighing 41KG (those who know me will testify to my "normal" shape and size !) and needing intravenous feeding.

I then caught "hospital acquired pneumonia" (WTF ?!) and spent three weeks in the High Dependency Unit. Straight afterwards a "Groschen" line was surgically inserted into my chest (it's still there) to feed me and take blood samples etc, but during the procedure my left lung was punctured. Talk about bad luck.............

I was finally discharged last Friday. I've had two CT scans to check on the condition of my small bowel, neither of which showed any sign of cancer. Of course this was an incidental observation, the "official" verification can only be obtained from a PET scan which I am yet to have. The good news is that I am finally pain free and able to move around (albeit with a walking frame temporarily) on my own. My muscles and especially Achilles tendons have wasted after three months enforced bed rest. But I weigh 60KG and gaining and am learning what I can and can't eat etc. Little and often is the order of the day.

The PET scan should be fairly soon (I need to be strong enough to take the radioactive injection), and barring any unforeseen obstacles I hope to be back in harness in sunnier climes in a couple of months. I get stronger and more flexible every day with the exercise regime; a very painful and stiff routine but it seems to be working.

So after a year of fighting with numerous setbacks to contend with I can finally see a light at the end of this evil tunnel. Once again, I can only say a huge thank you to those who have not forgotten me and have been checking on my progress (or lack of it) over the past year. It has been a massive morale booster, especially during the desperately low periods. And whatever people may say or think about my employer, they (or more precisely he) has stood by me and not deserted or dumped me. It is this sort of loyalty that separates the wheat from the chaff; a rare commodity these days.

Being told you only have a 25% chance of survival is an almost surreal experience; perversely it made me even more determined to beat this thing. The old cliche "There is always someone worse off" has also been brought into sharp focus. I saw a good number of people pass away over the past year. Some were simply terminal, some gave up and some couldn't withstand the chemo or radio therapy.

Onwards and upwards ! Just a PET scan to make it official, a lot of stodgy, fattening food and some exercise and I'll be back.

NEO