PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2013, 00:49
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
The chaps posting that CRM is about empowering the f/o to speak up or about having a democratic meeting about where the flaps should be set etc are either the victims of terrible CRM training or they are out of touch with what CRM is.
There is no doubt that moving the flap to 15 at that stage ( if it occurred) is a technical error, I agree with that, but what caused it? Was it a communication error? A decision making error? Lack of S.A? Poorly managed flight resulting in overload late in the approach? Lack of authority gradient?
Technical errors normally follow a series of non technical errors, CRM is the non technical elements that place pressure on the tech skills if not done well.
Would the same flight have ended differently if different decisions had been made earlier in the flight? Yip. Well those decisions are CRM.
To think that a flights successful outcome is totally dependent on tech skills and independent of non tech skills ( CRM ) is not realistic.
Non tech skills (CRM) are just that.......skills. They can be taught and improved. In fact that is what the old school guys did, they taught themselves CRM or were taught it by more experienced pilots , they just didn't call it CRM.
I am in my early forties, not a child of the magenta line and lucky enough to have been taught by some of the old school guys, but also able to accept the change and view of the modern thinking in our industry, a nice position to be in as I can see the value in both mind sets.
Rubbishing CRM is indicative of resistance to change in my opinion.