PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe vs. America
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 22:35
squall1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends what people you know. I instructed a whole bunch of Europeans in the US (Somewhere around 60 students) and some have jobs and some dont. It all comes down to experience, I know a lot of people have 250 hours and expect to get a job but I think those days are over, you need experience or something that puts you out from the rest. Pay to fly use to be a shortcut for low time people to get jobs, but now everyone is doing it to the point that experienced people have to do it too to get a job. Its sad that that is what the culture is now,but it wont end because someone will always be willing to pay for a job (which is crazy to me.)

The market in Europe is flooded with 250 hour people, so he is probably right most dont have jobs, but I dont think its about where they trained. I trained at a very well known flight school and I sit next to captains that learned to fly at mom and dad flight schools, only difference is I paid more. It comes down to knowledge and experience in the interview, can you do the job safely and can a captain put up with you for a extended period of time.