PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Halton Ground Crew Memorial
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 19:08
Corporal Clott

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I do a bit of gliding at Halton and I've seen the Memorial under wraps for weeks now. It looks pretty good in an "Angel of the North" kind of way. It also makes it look like there's an intruder at night!

The Airfield Manager is a microlight instructor and so is entitled to wear non-RAF wings on his Serco supplied flying suit. There is also a microlight Air Experience Flight (AEF) for the RAF Recruits that do their first 10 weeks or so in the RAF at Halton - see link 1000th Air Experience Flight At Halton. This AEF contract was underwritten by CAS who came and flew one of the EV97 Eurostars with a Halton Microlight Instructor. Using 'badged up' civvy flight instructors is good for the Recruits!

I also know that the Airfield Manager can be asked to help with refuelling and "Special" category fire cover - the Air Cadets do a similar type of fire cover and 22 Group orders tell them to wear flying suits whilst doing the duty. There are also 2 other part time Airfield Managers that are present whenever there is flying at Halton; one is a CPL/IR pilot and the other is a PPL / Gliding Instructor (no it's not me!). One of their other duties is dealing with flying complaints from the various NIMBYs in the locale and also the various tresspassers - so looking official is key to their job.

Roland asked about a FTRS Flt Lt. The Serco contract replaced them but the Airfield Managers do report to a FTRS Sqn Ldr who is OC Ops. His duties are not solely airfield related. At present he is an experienced ex Wg Cdr FJ Nav who is also qualified to fly all of the fixed wing aircraft types operated at Halton (everything apart from the RAF Baloon) - plenty of SQEPness there!

The Stn Cdr is DH facing as correctly pointed out by Duncan and the DDH is CO 3FTS and the ODh is AOC 22 Gp.

So I suggest that you lay off Halton, and congratulate Mr Kumela (who is an ex RAF engineer himself) for his thoughtful memorial and celebrate the flying at this small flying station that celebrates 100 years of flying this year.

CPL Clott

Last edited by Corporal Clott; 19th Apr 2013 at 19:20.