PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big dogs and little dogs
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2003, 23:02
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah 727jetjock,

Boots, strewth! Remember ferrying two Tornado jocks from Lossie down to St. Athen (is that how you spell it?) and went into icing abeam Liverpool. Boots worked fine on the ground but low and behold nothing when needed! Choices. Descend into warmer air? No good, zero degree isotherm below MSA. Head out to sea and descend then fly round the coast. Nah, don't much fancy that. 180 and head back to home base (Edinburgh), swap a/c and come back! Yeah, good for the hours too! Went back in a 402 and landed (In Cardiff as destination now shut) behind a United DC-10 which had gone around and diverted to Birmingham due to the now howling gale! The two jocks were now up beside me on approach, in their full immersion suits and pissed (that's two onboard bars they'd drunk themselves through!) loving every minute as I peddled like fury and waggled the stick trying to get it somewhere near the runway!

I don't think low hours guys are any worse either, it's just level of experience which is based on exposure. It's having to have made decisions when there was no one else to ask and it's dealing with problems when you are feeling challenged (due to your lack of experience!!!) Good times though, I shall always remember them.

That glow through the grills from the turbos on the 402 always looked a bit suspect in the middle of the night though didn't it!?

PP