PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 15:24
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiling Monkey
It has been suggested in this thread from 'inside information' that the F/O retracted the flaps to 15 degrees without being commanded by the Captain, who we assume was now the PF. If that's not a failure in CRM, or Multi-Crew Coordination, then I don't know what is.
Precisely what Centaurus is saying. This is not CRM or "coordination", this is just a technical skill stuffup, plain and simple.

Would you really expect the crew to have a committee meeting (good CRM) to discuss what the FO had just done? Of course not. CRM is working together to solve a problem/FOs being empowered to speak up/Captains listening to their crew. However, one of the most basic requirements of good CRM is that each member involved is technically skilled in his/her job. If someone stuffs up in the hypothesised manner and the aircraft crashes immediately, it's not a CRM failure, it a technical skills failure.

Note: I am in no way implying that the Lion Air crew made any errors. My comments on CRM are general in nature using the example mentioned.