PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 19th Apr 2013, 14:56
halfmanhalfbiscuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookleft

Well it is easy really, we go to the lower house (the main house) and demand that the Minister makes the inquiry findings and recommendations a priority and addresses industry concerns ASAP as a primary Ministry concern.
Sarcs you and I both know that with an election coming up all Senate inquiries will be null and void. This Minister has rejected a request from the industry to put a junior minister in place to help him with the aviation part of his portfolio. The writs for the election get issued in August. That only gives three months for a government on the way out to do anything even if it wanted to. Any recommendations will be a part of the National archives once they are released.
This is an interesting situation. What's happens if nothing happens?
Will icao end up downgrading Australia. Does the Australian government want to risk that?

The senate can't unlearn the revelations and weaknesses brought out in this inquiry. They are all on Hansard and soon the report. If there is subsequently an incident that may have been prevented if the issues brought out from this senate inquiry had been acted on it wouldn't be a great position to be in.

Now over 325,000 views, I suspect this is already being viewed outside Australia as the numbers rise overnight.

I think this quote must be the announcement to CASA staff. Taken from this thread.
http://www.pprune.org/pacific-genera...casa-head.html

QUOTE]
From CEO Bruce Byron
John McCormick will take over as the new chief executive officer of CASA from 1 March 2009. Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese, announced the appointment of Mr McCormick today. Mr Albanese said:
"The Rudd Labor Government places the highest importance on aviation safety and is very pleased to have someone of Mr McCormick’s calibre and experience taking the reins of CASA. Mr McCormick will take up his responsibilities at an exciting time for the nation’s civil aviation industry. The Government has provided a framework for the industry’s future development with the release last week of our Aviation Green Paper, the next stage in the development of the nation’s first ever long term Aviation Strategy or White Paper.
Safety is at the forefront of the Green Paper and as the independent safety regulator, CASA has a crucial role to play in maintaining Australia’s proud safety record. To improve its governance arrangements as well as provide stronger support to the CEO and the Minister, I recently announced the Government intends to put in place a small, independent Board for CASA.

An early priority for Mr McCormick will therefore be to prepare for the establishment of this Board in July 2009. The Government acknowledges and thanks Mr Bruce Byron for his outstanding contribution as CASA CEO over the past five years as well as his personal commitment to the highest of safety standards and necessary internal reforms. He leaves CASA well placed to meet future challenges."

John has worked for Cathay Pacific since 1987, having been with Qantas as a second officer on the B747-200 from 1984 to 1987. Prior to that he held various positions within the RAAF, serving a number of overseas tours. At Cathay Mr McCormick started as a first officer on the B747-200 and rose to become chief pilot and manager training for the airline's Boeing fleet, before taking over as general manager Operations in Hong Kong. This role included responsibility for the airline's air operators certificates and all applicable regulatory matters. For the last two years he has been a Brisbane-based line pilot and is a senior training captain on the A330/340s.
Mr McCormick brings a wealth of up-to-date and international industry experience to CASA which will further strengthen our senior management team. I have no doubt his fresh perspective and ideas will drive continued improvements to CASA, building on the success of our change program which has been strongly endorsed by the Government. I can report that the field of candidates for the CEOs position was strong and in itself this speaks volumes for the respect CASA now has in the Australian and international aviation communities.
I know you will all look forward to meeting John McCormick and will give him your full support and loyalty. In the meantime, I look forward to the next few months as I complete my term as CEO and get our organisation ready for a smooth transition to a new leader who will bring a commitment to building on our current successes and striving for continued improvement.
The process will be starting again soon. More transformational change and completion of regulatory reform.

Last edited by halfmanhalfbiscuit; 19th Apr 2013 at 17:24.