PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Air Show - Barton
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 10:21
famhistsearcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Thank you ShaggySheepdriver, Sir George Cayley and Michaelangeloman for these quick responses and nice things about the characters of the two men.

ShaggySheepDriver: This is a wonderful memory. Thank you for sharing. Your account backs up my gran's opinion that Leo was 'showing off'. I see the irony in his instructions! I also see the enthusiasm of a young man getting to 'play' in a unique plane. The thought that someone can point out where it happened is so magnetic. I have toyed with the idea of visiting the area but until Who Do You Think You Are allow me access to excessive funds & resources this may have to wait.

Sir George: The news reports give the name Allan Rae,a diesel fitter from Westhoughton, Lancs. Your info that he was part owner explains the CAA accident report that, without names, seemed to contradict that Leo was the pilot at the time.

Michaelangeloman: A girlfriend? She must have been traumatised. Do you remember any more about her? Leo still had his parents' address in Dundee.

So many questions! For the first time in doing family history research & as a trained historian I have become emotional at this tragedy recalled by eye witnesses. Thank you so much for adding your memories of what must have been a terrible end to a lovely day out. I do feel guilty that my relative caused the death of another young man.