PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most popular cruising altitudes
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 08:07
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'll bite.

The question seems fair to me and what abgd is asking is whether we all tootle off into the wide blue yonder cruising along at 2,000 ft on the regional QNH as we we all probably taught eons ago when doing our (VFR only) PPL navex's.

If so the collision hazard is going to be higher than if we made better use of the airspace available. The other "popular" level to cruise at I suppose is just beneath the local cloudbase. But this again could create a higher risk if we all scud along at 200 ft below the cloud base.

Personally, I think it best to follow the quadrantal rule and if too low for this to be practical, to fly at an "odd" level say 1,800 ft rather than 2,000 ft just to avoid all the others out there that a. might be tooling along at 2,000 ft (+/- 100 ft!) and b. not keeping a good look-out.

I know that this is not a guarantee of avoiding a mid-air, but psychologically I think I am mitigating the risk, and you can't ignore all the military types, gliders, microlights and balloons that are out there too, which all seem to have their own ideas.

Just my 2c.

MB