PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2013, 00:21
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Cork Airport is cursed and the Dublin Airport Authority is amongst the worst things to ever happen it - Aer Rianta was bad but what has passed in the last few years is beyond unbelievable. You would think that the DAA has shares in bus companies not airports. I guess it could be argued that Cork is too small for a service to North America so how is that squared off against the many North American destinations which Shannon has which has now been offered even more leeway against Cork and Knock Airports with it's pretend independence which is simply there to present itself with more of a competititive advantage to get around not having to offer similar charges as Cork and Dublin.

You have had the craziness of Wednesday with Cork bound aeroplanes diverting to snn left right and centre due to the exceptional winds, bizjets with perhaps industrialists aboard delaying their departure due to the poor weather because Cork's main runway is completely out of limits with the east west runway handicapped due to it's very short length so what Cork has in fact is not one but two short runways. Can you really imagine that many of those Wednesday evening and Wednesday night passengers easily consenting to using Cork Airport again be it even to London never mind European and longer haul flights when they have cheap overnight busses available all of which only plays into the corporate greed of the Dublin Airport Authority and Fortress Dublin not to mention airlines like Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Another crazy thing is that in some ways Ryanair is now closer to being a champion of Cork Airport than anyone else is - at least they have opened up some new routes in the last few years and are for the most part paying full fees at Cork on most of the destinations whilst you have Aer Lingus and Aer Arann/Stobart Airways playing for safe every time with the same old destinations with all most minimal creativity with only Brussels to show for it and I cannot help thinking allowed was that only to appease a miniscule band of politically connected self serving cowboys along with the rehash of Lanzarote and Malaga along with a seasonal Palma choice.

Cork is being codded up to it's eyeballs and all that happens is that it bends over and takes it up the jacksie over and over and over again.

If Dublin or snn had the level of weather and runway orientation diversions as Cork has had in recent times you can bet a year's pay that the solution of a new or longer runways would be sorted in double quick time recession or no recession.

I am in despair of Cork Airport - it has not been as depressing since the late 1970s and early 1980s and it seems to me like no one gives a damn.

Last edited by Tom the Tenor; 19th Apr 2013 at 00:23.