PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 22:15
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say that 'statistically' a Captain would do the flying when an approach was considered more demanding, i.e. a non-precision one, why stick your neck out and give it to a F/O whose skills one might not have had personal experience of, so if 'statistically' more Captains fly NPA's then 'statistically' most of the NPA accidents would happen when a Captain was flying.
One assumes that both crew members have been adequately trained in their respective roles. Notwithstanding that on a monitored approach the FO is the pilot flying the autopilot would normally be utilised.
The monitored approach concept frees up the Captain from the task of flying the aircraft with, I would suggest, a reduction in the workload. Also if on reaching minima there is no visual reference the FO will stay on instruments and execute a Go Around.

I agree that there is more than one way of operating an a/c but speaking personally I have found it a very effective and I would suggest safer way of operating the a/c in conditions of lower cloudbase and/or viz. Of course I take your point that anything can be proved with statistics and am aware of the Disraeli quote.

Last edited by fireflybob; 18th Apr 2013 at 22:38.