PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The landing and judging height.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 21:28
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew tailwheel aeroplanes for well over 30 years, mostly short aeros flights and into short strips, so many landings per hour in all sorts of winds, runway gradients and surfaces, and approach / climbout obstructions. I've yet to groundloop. And as I haven't flown for many months now, and probably won't again, I might have got away with it!
Same here, only I started on tail wheel airplanes sixty years ago and I also never lost control of one.......

..in fact it is probably the reason we never lost control....we had to control yaw or it would get ugly real fast.

...... I went for a real wild ride one time though checking out a Twin Otter pilot on the Grumman Turbo Goose. He went into reverse as soon as the wheels touched the runway and one prop got into reverse before the other. We went off both sides of the runway before I got it going straight but I must have been in control.

As to forgetting...naw you never forget.....I also am retired and fly a friends tail wheel airplane occasionally and it is like walking, you never forget.

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 18th Apr 2013 at 21:30.