PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 19:08
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sevenstrokeroll;

Yes, it worked really well, didn't it? It required that the guy flying hand over a stable airplane, 'in-the-slot' so the guy looking out could just keep going.

Technology has outpaced such techniques I think and part of my point is that this is both a good thing and a problem, depending upon whether one knows what one is doing or not, and that in turn is a result of training, experience and one's individual keeness to work hard learning one's craft and profession. (I don't hear the word 'keen' too often anymore but then the profession has been altered vastly.)

If one believes in, and has confidence in technology to the exclusion of one's own belief and confidence in one's own skills, then it is a matter of time before circumstances overwhelm one's abilities if they're only honed "inside". I offered all the time and even taught but I couldn't get any F/Os to hand-fly and that was in 1992! What's it like today? I think we're seeing the outlines of an answer. So it will be very interesting to see what's on the recorders.

Last edited by PJ2; 18th Apr 2013 at 19:10. Reason: grammar