PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall landing/Slow landing
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 17:56
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just like food has become so refined as to be less nutritious, flying has become so automated as to be less organic
Fraid so. If I'm not getting in anyone else's way, then I will always do a glide approach in the cub, with or without a sideslip, according to my mood at the time. Once had a controller comment that I was high on final, over the radio. I reckoned that was my business, but made a point of touching down at the very start of the runway, no sideslip required. Of course I then had to taxi the best part of a mile to the exit......

What really worries me about many pilots of light aircraft is that they try to fly as if they are in a heavy. I am trying to ban the phrase "rotate speed" at our club. So many people fly so little that every other flight is a currency check, and have no feel for the aircraft. (trimmed or not, usually the latter) Trouble is feel comes with experience and currency and so we rely on the numbers instead.

But I have the luxury of my own aircraft and no pressure to conform, or to fly in conditions that are unsuitable for the aircraft or incompatible with flying for fun.