PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helipads, hotels and Others: Requests, Recommendations & Rip-offs
Old 18th Apr 2013, 17:04
JTobias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

I recently had a negative experience with the Holiday Inn at Bristol. I was told that in order to land there, I would need to demonstrate £25M insurance cover, and pay £250 landing fee. This hotel has a helipad and is set in 16 acres of land !!!

I was actually involved in a charity trip connected with the Children's Air Ambulance, and was incensed to hear this and so I found an alternative site. I decided to write to them and politely but firmly explain to them how ridiculous their policy is, in terms of both their insurance requirement, and their landing fee. I now do this whenever I encounter a 'negative' attitude towards helicopters. It's almost turning into a crusade, although I'm happy to report that I don't encounter it too often.

Although nothing has changed, I have had the area Manager of the hotel's contact me to explain that they are looking into the insurance requirement which they realise is probably prohibitive and also that their landing fee is discretionary - and that they would almost certainly waive it for anyone staying in the hotel.

He's promised to give me an update and I'm happy to report that he seemed to be quite positive and appreciative of the positive impact that helicopters can have on hotels etc...............

I'll provide an update when i have one but I'm happy to report that challenging their policy seems to have at least been a good idea.

Joel