PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 15:53
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExSp33db1rd;

Yes, back on thread but thanks for your response. In re Rickenbacker, fascinating man and life. I suspect even men who seem larger-than-life like Rickenbacker could treat automation as the third, (or possibly even the second) pilot. I believe we see that thinking today in non-pilot airline executives, but with an ironic twist: Rickenbacker said that he paid his pilots to "fly" so no autopilot, while today airline execs pay millions for technology and expect it and not their pilots, to "fly". Both views badly misconstrue and therefore do not value the role of an airline pilot.

re pilot-monitored approaches, fully agree with your comments. I've done them, (DC9), they work well and you're right - they keep both pilots in the loop.

mm43;

Re the interesting notion regarding the wiper blades in the vertical position, yes I can see that happening; - the force of water momentarily washing over the nose as the airplane "dolphin-ed" forcing the blades to the vertical position.

The one thought that occurred when seeing them in that position in the original video (around page 3 or so) was, 'how odd that they would stop at that position (when electrical power was lost at impact)'.

But then, would even 15deg NU likely be sufficient to cause the nose to momentarily bury itself? Rather, would the airplane pancake, especially if the energy of the force upwards were expended in the breaking of the fuselage vice forcing the nose downward and into the water?

We'll know, (hopefully) soon enough whether the sound of the wipers is on the CVR.

PJ2