PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abuja and Port Harcourt, NIGERIA
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2013, 01:32
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also to add!!

There is a VOR but Jeppeson (and others) have yet to construct a plate to reflect the new runway length. The VOR has a co located DME but their operation is somewhat on the intermittent side. Though not entirely legal and approved, your best friend is GPS, although rogue transmissions in the Port Harcourt area can disable GPS regularly.

The weather can be awful at times with cloud base often being a limiting factor. The weather reports you will recieve can be completely from an ENU on another galaxy altogether.

Technically the limits should be to MSA and then visual. In reality I insist on seeing the field overhead and will accept losing sight of the airfield on the visual circuit (legal as I am in contact with known points on the ground) and then descend to 'circling minima' before going around. (Circling minima is not really legal but works well if you are established on the old published VOR radial and aware of your distance by DME or GPS. (All pilots from the rest of the world can pretend they haven't read this last paragraph or two - but I would ask you to remember that those of us out here have to make things up as we go on based on knowledge and experience - might not be right but that is the way it is here)

If you are new to the area then proceed with caution as you will not have any known points on the ground to work with. Remember do not make any approach whatsoever from the west, or attempt to land in an easterly direction.