PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 23:58
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Just watched "Children of the Magenta Line". That should be required viewing on all training courses on a modern aircraft.
Totally agree.

Even on the so called 'advanced' microlights - LSA's in USAspeak - that I now instruct on, many are coming fitted with TV screen style, Glass Cockpit, instrumentation, and students spend far too much time gazing at the picture - actually trying to find the basic information like airspeed and altitude from amongst the mass of largely uneccessary information that is also there - and not enough time looking out of the window, some even bring their own iPad loaded with some sort of Magenta Line navigation software.

Our CAA Rules for microlights only require a means of determining Airspeed, Height and Magnetic Heading, so with all this superflous electronic information we are already breeding a new generation of pilots, and many of our students start their eventual airline career on these little aeroplanes, dependant on all this electronic gadgetry.

I refuse to allow iPads when I fly with them, and am clearly regarded as a Mean Old Fart. I also ban cellphones now, after one student started texting his girl friend whilst taxying back in, before completing the After Landing Checks ! Perhaps I am a MOF ? See if I care.