PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 12:28
astir 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys

well I just survived one leg Merauke - Jayapura as SLF on Lionair then Jayapura - Makassar - Jakarta on Merpati which according to some posters seems to make me about as lucky as a Lancaster crew doing 3 trips to Berlin & back. However from where I was sitting the cabin staff all appeared entirely professional and the landings were no more "arrivals" than most of the other heavy jet flights I've ever had.

It might be worth a mention that many of the airport runways in Indonesia are perched on the edge of islands, with either high ground to one side or one end, and often with cloud/rain on the high ground and at times seriously heavy rain storms. It can't be easy for the guys up front sometimes.

Plus there are about 240 million Indonesians spread over a huge area and they travel a lot. Indonesia may possibly compare with a fair bit of the whole of Europe in terms of daily aircraft movements, but in more difficult operating circumstances.

So In my extremely humble and worthless opinion I think some of the comments on this thread may have been a teensy tad OTT.

I pass on the P2F issue. I've always had to pay for my flying