PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 09:26
SkyRocket10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
It really depends on whether you want to take the risk and matter into your own hands as opposed to sitting around for your entire life hoping that one day a cadet scheme will work out for you. Personally I wouldn't hang around forever. That's just me though... different approaches work for different people (but it's always a gamble )

Thanks for the advice Bearcat. Yeah the above is pretty much the point i'm at decision wise. I will be 30 next year and while that is hardly ancient it does mean I am at the point where I don't want to be hanging around year after year on the off chance I make it through on one of these programmes, particularly when the competition is so intense.
For what it's worth 30yrs of age is definitely not too old. I would certainly recommend taking a few weeks to consider your options and then potentially having one more attempt at the FPP. As I'm sure you know, it really is a great opportunity.

As far as joining BA age wise, I would suggest an upper age of 35. Some may disagree, however with a 15yr+ wait for a shorthaul command, you'll be 50+, and then if your lucky you may achieve a long haul command before your 60th birthday. With the current BA demographics, unless you are a young chap and/or desperate to fly longhaul, it may not neccessarily be the best option available to you.

Either way, best of luck going forward.