PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerofoils in heavy rain
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 08:42
FullWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've seen, every wing section seems to have a different reaction to contamination and it's not obvious what it might be until it happens.

I have flown many gliders in precipitation of all descriptions and it's not always the highly laminar flow wings that are affected the most. One particular model with a fairly thick, high lift section vibrated and headed earthwards after a few tiny drops. Mine with a modern, thin 90%+ laminar profile seems to be much more resistant: I've seen water cascading in floods off the wing and the handling doesn't really suffer.

With typical airliner sections, there probably is an effect but it's masked by the amount of power available and the scale of the wing, I feel. If it were that pronounced, you'd have a performance decrement to apply taking off in rain or after de-/anti-icing. We know that hard, irregular deposits are bad and take great pains to rid the airframe of them but are less concerned with liquid ones - think how many takeoffs are made in rain every day without issue. It seems that a wet runway is much more relevant than wet wings.