PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 08:04
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
The 09 VOR plate posted early on in this thread shows a 2.38 degree
- I do not draw the same conclusions. If you refer to post #244, I see a nominal 2.8 degrees to the VOR position which is not far off the TDZ? I cannot see any problem with the chart. As WG says, DA should (normally) be 520' for a charted MDA approach, but Lion may not have implemented that - some carriers apparently do not.

If we therefore assume that the charted approach would 'aim' at the VOR, and that we appear to be surmising loss of visual BELOW MDA, the actual slopes etc are not particularly relevant, and would have been 'aiming' roughly at the TDZ anyway. We must look elsewhere. If, and NB IF, we are looking at an 'approach power g/a', then no amount of chart wizardry would have helped.

I think we also need to drop this 'P2F' thing on this accident. I have seen either 10,000 or 15,000 hrs quoted for the Captain, and if those hrs are genuine and he was still 'paying' for his flying.......................? Also P2's (?2000?) hrs are less relevant even if he was P2F since it has been said that the Captain 'took over'.