PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2013, 06:32
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philipat;
PJ2. Based on my observations of the weather in Bali at the time of the accident, I have always thought that your conjecture may be correct.
For one thing we know that the windshield wipers were likely operating just prior to impact.

In my experience, the windshield wipers are used very rarely. The slipstream blows most water from the windshield. It takes a lot of rain to obscure forward visibility and what's more, the wipers usually struggle keeping up.

My thought is, if the wipers were being used, (and they're not in the 'parked' position), then, however briefly, (and I agree with the poster who said you can't forecast these things), the rain had to be heavy.

For those who don't fly these aircraft and may be curious about the go-around manoeuvre, with minor variations, standard go-around procedure is simultaneous setting of pitch (15deg minimum) & power, (TOGA: Take Off / Go Around thrust), while pushing the TOGA buttons to set the FDs and any other auto-items to the go-around mode, (or, in the Airbus, setting thrust levers in the TOGA detent), retracting the flaps (usually one step) and getting the gear up.

The PNF monitors pitch & power to make sure the aircraft is climbing and if pitch-power-thrust aren't what they should be, is required to call out the parameters, (speed, altitude, vertical speed, pitch). It's a busy time and demanding of cockpit procedures and crew discipline. The main problem in go-arounds is not getting the pitch right up to the required attitude. Another item is forgetting to raise the gear, (no one says, "positive rate", which is the cue). But in sims, on the line or in flight data, I've never seen anyone leave the power where it was for the approach - it's always 'in the kitchen'.

PJ2

Last edited by PJ2; 17th Apr 2013 at 06:53.