PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 17th Apr 2013, 06:11
BigSkyTheory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am most worried about the passing rate within the academy; where only around 50-70% of students pass. Perhaps I am getting cold-feet; but the thought of quitting my job and moving interstate, and spend 1 year studying only to find out that I 'don't have it in me' is gut-wrenching.
Perfectly natural to feel this. Gut-wrenching it undoubtedly would be, but putting it brutally it's simply something you're going to have to deal with along the way. Your quoted pass rate is pretty close to what happened on my course and anecdotally is probably not far off the mark overall. The following may help a bit, bearing in mind I'm writing from an enroute perspective.

What was lacking in those who fell by the wayside in my course? Your list is pretty close to the mark:
- their lack of motivation to study/learn the theory
Those who have trouble motivating themselves for studying will not pass the initial theory component, simple as that. I think, having been selected, moved to Melbourne and gotten stuck into it, most of my course had already invested enough in the 'idea' of being an ATC that this was not an issue (at least initially). Later on, as the course dragged on a little, some people did lose this motivation but overall, it's probably the one thing that is entirely in your conscious control. So you put up with it and do the work, or you do not finish the course.
- their ability to remember information; eg. rules, laws, etc
There is a LOT to remember, yes. The things you use every day become easy before too long but you will need to dig deep into the back of your brain every so often to come up with something different. Lots of practice - extra sim runs and so on - help solidify a lot of the content in your mind, so you can to some extent control this one too.
- their lack of calculation/maths skills (not sure if this is important)
Not as important as you might think (at least it isn't where I ended up), but you might need to be able to think in sixes, and multiples thereof. Another easy one to fix yourself!
- their lack of ability to visualize things spatially/3d
I'd add a fourth dimension there too - time. Things never stop moving in this job. This one's a harder factor to control yourself. ATC is very much a unique job and the skillset needed for it isn't really found anywhere else. This is one that you won't really know til you have a go at it.
- their ability to think on their feet/ make quick decisions
I'd call this one 'flexibility' - ie you need a Plan A, but if that doesn't work, you also need a Plan C, D, E and sometimes F too. The flexibility bit is the ability to shift between those plans seamlessly when required. And sometimes you will make the wrong decision - rather than sitting there thinking 'hope no-one noticed' (I guarantee your instructors, both in the college and in the field, will have noticed), FIX IT!! Then move on. You may have to sit there looking a bit silly for the moment, but that beats a smoking hole in the ground.

So, really, most of the factors you've mentioned are very much within your control. A failure for one of those reasons is, brutally, entirely youir problem. As for the rest? I don't think it's really a case of 'you either have it or you don't.' Some people have a certain amount of natural ability and that helps, but the rest of it can be learned - through hard work, practice, humility, patience and an ability to laugh at yourself occasionally.

Bear in mind the aim is to get a rating - not to simply finish the course. You think the college is tough? Watch the learning curve go vertical when you get into the field. I've seen a not insignificant number of people come out of the college and fail final field checks (one was from my course). But at the end of it, it is possible for people to get through. Hey, they even gave ME a rating! Livin' the dream, and all that. Hang in there.

BST