PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 23:34
JPJP

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
ExSpeedbird,

Apologies for the discussion between OKC and myself. I respect his opinion and its an interesting subject. His airline adheres to the Boeing manual. My airline had our manuals approved by Boeing. Nevertheless, there's a difference in procedures.

You're right. It's become an even more complex business. You also summed up the essence of the solution - Fly the airplane.

Today's worst professional pilots are button pushers. The best are able to operate the aircraft from zero level of automation through to the highest. Equally important is knowing when, and how much automation is appropriate.

Interestingly: I find that new F.O.s, when cleared by ATC for a tight visual approach, feel automation pressure. They then revert to manual operation of the controls. This is reassuring in some ways. It indicates to me that they are more comfortable hand flying the aircraft. It also shows that in some circumstances the automation can become slightly overwhelming. Either due to circumstances or inexperience. These are pilots with many thousands of hours in Jets, but the specific type may be new to them.

Lion Air appears to have some very, very new pilots.

Last edited by JPJP; 16th Apr 2013 at 23:55.