PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN reports AA has a system wide stand down till 5PM EST
Old 16th Apr 2013, 21:16
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is how AA runs everything, if the computer doesn't work, nothing flies. When AA bought us, Aircal, it was quite frustrating but that is how they do things. I am on an open flight to LAX tomorrow to see my daughter before she goes into surgery but now it probably will fill up with flowover pax.

I flew a 727 charter flight at night to a resort I had never heard of on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic at AA. I asked dispatch everything I could think of about Nav Aids, Tower open, computers working and still everything was all screwed up. The vor was out, the vasi was set way too low and the computer didn't work and both my FE and FO were new on probation so couldn't help much. My charts were faxed to me because we don't land at that airport. I could see disaster about to happen. The only way I could get my clearance and close out numbers to take off was over the phone. I wrote down the trim setting, TO weight and route and altitude and ignored the rest. I hate computers!!!

Last edited by bubbers44; 16th Apr 2013 at 21:30.