PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 20:10
JPJP

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
OKC,

We don't use the Boeing FCOM. Boeing approves our manuals along with the FAA. You'll probably be horrified to know that we use the AT without the AP, and we also de - select the AT on occasion. We do turn off the FD during circling approaches for obvious reasons, then we turn them back on prior to selecting a lateral and vertical mode. We only circle with VMC (common here). As I said, Boeing approved our manuals.

I disagree with you on the use of the FD below minimums, specifically in IAN, it's a useful tool. One of many, as long as one isn't relying on it solely and understands its limitations. I also multiply DME times three

We rely on our pilots not to forget to push the Thrust levers forward during a go around and not to allow a TOGA tail strike. So far so good ...... Touch wood.

By the way; low speed protection is disabled below 27feet. The incidents with AT de-selected, during the flare, were caused by low speed prior to 27 feet.

Apologies for derailing the thread slightly. Although; if this was a botched Go-around, the AT being on might have saved the crew from the walk of shame. As would shoving the thrust levers forward

Last edited by JPJP; 16th Apr 2013 at 20:18.