PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall landing/Slow landing
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 11:44
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

Taking clean speeds they could be fixed at 1.3 times the stall speed in clean configuration but you could make that 1.5 times the stall speed or more!
Just wanted to clarify how I do my calcs in case someone misreads and runs into trouble trying it. For approach speeds that are not stated in the POH, whether in the clean or landing config I always use the 1.3 multiple but my starting number(s) for each config are taken from the bottom of the airspeed indicator green or white ranges then deducting 1MPH for each 80lbs I am under gross then apply the 1.3 to a standard and 1.25 for a short field landing.

The only time I stray north from those numbers is when there is a xwind pushing up against my personal limits (which are under the POH published demonstrated number) and decide that instead of a no flaps clean approach I will go to a negative 7 degrees flap setting which is unique to my aircraft (a taildragger) and recommended by the manufacturer in xwinds, however I do not know what the exact stall is in that config as its not in the POH or AI markings so I stay a bit faster than what the clean stall calc would be which I think is good practice in the xwind anyway.

[SIZE="3"]Disclosure: the writer as stated before is a rank amateur and none of the above should be paid heed to and taken as gospel and is purely for conversational purposes only, the above practice is my personal methods based on trying different things with the plane and always remember opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Bottom line, listen only to your instructor [/SIZE]

Last edited by piperboy84; 16th Apr 2013 at 11:59.