PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall landing/Slow landing
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 09:36
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reccomendation for 'Stick & Rudder'. Never mind the dated pictures, it's the best book on how to fly you can buy.

I agree with Chuck that it's dissappointing that things in flight training don't seem to be getting any better. I think this might be beciase some (by no means all) instructors are low-houred and of narrow experience, focussed on an airline job. When I did my PPL in the '70s many were ex-services guys of vast experience who did it becuase they enjoyed it.

And of course the almost universal training fleet of nose-wheel aeroplanes might be a factor. Now I was taught to fly on the C150, but almost immediately converted on to my beloved Chipmunk with not too much difficulty, so my basic training in landing the C150 must have been reasonably OK. The problem is that one can get away with some awful landing techniques in a nosewheel aeroplane that a tailwheel one will simply not tolerate. And standing alongside the runway at any GA field watching the non-held-off and far too fast landings typical there, one can see this for onself any day of the week.

Perhaps everyone interested in developing a good landing technique should get a tailwheel conversion? Or read and digest Stick & Rudder!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 16th Apr 2013 at 09:38.