PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 08:39
my_call

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamsterminator,

In the same situation as you mate. As I don't really have a clue as to why I didn't get the ultimate tick, suffice it to state that I know I generally and inexplicably didn't perform anywhere near my best on the day of all days, I think waiting around for another year on the fleeting hope that I may get through next time is rather leaving it too much to chance. I prepared wholeheartedly and it didn't work out. Had I been a few years younger, it may have been worth more contemplation to leverage on the experience and wait for the next opportunity.

So to Plan B, I would have preferred an EASA integrated course as well if I could find some way to fund it, debt or not. However, as it is, it's out of the question. The next best route I decided is then to enrol in a full-time Part 141 course to obtain an FAA CPL/IR and CFI with Optional Practical Training, which I can just about afford when taking into account subsistence and other commitments. I will then probably have to revert to my current career to save myself from bankruptcy and work towards conversion to an EASA CPL/IR. Naturally, it will mean deferring the ATPL exams towards the tail end of my pursuits. This may mean I am potentially eligible to re-apply for the FPP if there is another one next year. A concern would be whether I have enough finances remaining at that stage to fund two more years of not working, subsistence and other commitments, as well as additional monies required by the chosen flight school - a bridge I will have to cross then.

The future is not for us to see, but I suppose one must be thankful for the experience and now forge ahead through other avenues.

Good luck whatever you decide!