PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2013, 04:53
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Onetrack

With respect, and just to be clear, I am NOT saying that there was not any rain on the approach, just that there was no TS activity in the vicinity. I very often land in Bali on the default 09 Runway through scattered showers on and off through the approach, sometimes quite heavy, followed by complete calm and very good visibility.

There was localised light rain (Heavy if you are flying right into it) and scattered low cloud all across South Bali at the time of the accident. But no TS activity. Even Australian surfers know that if there is TS activity around, it's best to get out. They learn this in school.

Although Indonesian Corporations often work in mysterious ways, from the point of view of potential liability, I would have thought that their Legal Department would NOT have allowed Lion to issue a statement to the effect that weather was not an issue unless they believed that this was demonstrably the case.

Anyway, as you rightly note, the answers should soon be available. Like you, I expect that the CVR will be very interesting.

Last edited by philipat; 16th Apr 2013 at 04:55.