PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 15th Apr 2013, 21:03
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all a bit too much, ain't it?

Creamie reckons, correctly, not too big a voting block in 'aviation'; but, if the 'punters union' suffer because of a downgrade in Australia's ICAO status that might make just a bit a difference. Question – how close is Australia to a downgrade? Are the combined fiascos since the last FAA/ICAO enough to finally engage the full attention of the heavy mob??

It's not so much the time or money thrown at rescuing the CASA from the jaws of a downgrade which annoys me so much as the nugatory results of the spending spree. Particularly visible in the rubbish being cast as law, the ludicrous penalties, the manufactured 'difficulties' in compliance and the ease of prosecution. Someone should tell them, you can't prosecute safety into the industry. The response will be a classic 'mudguard syndrome', all squeaky clean, Teflon coated on top etc. The underground 'by the book' business will flourish, it does now.

Perhaps, it's all our fault – allowing the lunatics to run the asylum and then passively standing by as the garbage is delivered. Maybe AMROBA has the right idea, slug it out now before the law is made. The question haunts me is why has the process been derailed so often?; there has, in the past been glimmers of sanity, logic and sensible legislation, then it's as though the hoodoo of voodoo strikes and it all mysteriously disappears into the ether.

The industry is not a government funded playgroup for the study of arcane rights and academic legal practice. Grey thoughts for a grey day indeed– but no amount of plain and fancy law will keep anyone any the safer; I worry that the latest efforts will have a reverse effect.

Fatigue – FRMS – CAO 48, when was the last time anyone in the CASA flew a full roster under commercial pressure, or were called out at short notice to work a long shift. Fatigue!, they wouldn't know it if it jumped up and bit 'em in the arse. Yet we get the latest 48 essay and FRMS burble from the office of NFI, only after the fact, forced by the sheer embarrassment of the Pel Air cock up. They completely bollocks fatigue up, sack the 'expert', turn Chambers loose and then, have the hide then start preaching, in print about what should be done and how to do it. Gods spare me.

OK, Rant over, steam off. But it has to end, somewhere, don't it??.

Creamy – a dose of sanity would be good about now.....

Safety tip - Buttered SAO should not be dropped onto your keyboard, makes a hell of a mess.

Last edited by Kharon; 15th Apr 2013 at 21:25. Reason: Sunny By 2003 was the quote, LH column 2/3 down.